A 54-year-old Murrieta woman and a 64-year-old Dana Point man both sustained major injuries in a head-on collision this morning (Monday, Dec. 8) on State Route 76.

According to California Highway Patrol public information officer Jim Bettencourt, “On December 8, at approximately 6:53 a.m. a 54-year-old female from Murrieta was driving her 1986 Ford Ranger westbound on SR-76 east of Gird at an unknown speed.”

“For unknown reasons she veered into the eastbound lane and collided head on into a 2001 Nissan Frontier driven by a 64-year-old male from Dana Point. Due to the impact from the collision both parties had to be extracted from their vehicles by the fire department.”

“The 54-year-old female suffered multiple facial fractures and was transported via ambulance to Palomar Hospital. The 64 year old male suffered broken legs and was transported via life flight to Palomar Hospital.”

Bettencourt said the roadway was shut down due to the investigation for approximately 1 hour and 20 min.

“Alcohol or drugs do not appear to be a factor in this collision,” he said, but the incident is still under investigation.

————————————————-

(previous story)

Head-on collision impacts traffic on State Route 76 at Gird Road; Sig Alert issued

Debbie Ramsey

Managing Editor

At approx. 6:53 a.m. today, Monday, Dec. 8, two vehicles were involved in a head-on crash on State Route 76 at Gird Road. Authorities have reported that one or more parties were trapped in the wreckage and emergency workers are trying to free them. It appears that major injuries have been sustained by individuals as a result of the collision.

The California Highway Patrol said the collision involved a red Ford Ranger pickup and a green Nissan. The incident led to both east and west lanes of SR76 being closed for a period of time. Traffic is now been guided alternately through one lane.

No further information is available at this time.

21 Responses to "54-year-old Murrieta woman and 64-year-old Dana Point man suffer injuries in head-on at SR 76 and Gird Road"

1. Accountability   December 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

In 1986 voters decided to increase their taxes with one of the main goals was to modernize Hwy 76, the most deadly highway in California. Here we are today and it is still not done.

2. Me   December 8, 2014 at 1:24 pm

"For unknown reasons she veered into the eastbound lane."

Wanna bet it was cell phone related?

3. robert   December 8, 2014 at 1:55 pm

During the ceremony to open the finished Hwy 76 I would love to see the environmental and local activist groups who held up this project for so long stand up and be recognized and their associations and names be read aloud to the press and the public…then I would like a reading of the names and ages of the people killed and maimed on Hwy 76 during the years that the project was not allowed to move forward due to the organizations and individuals from Fallbrook, Bonsall, and Oceanside who stalled the project for so many years… I was actually a witness to the burning death of a 50 something year old lady who was also in a head on about 6 years ago but was unable to unbuckle her seat belt and burned to death while fully conscious. In fact if there are any journalists at the Village News with the courage to investigate and print the names of the victims of Hwy 76 and the names of those who kept the project on the back burner for so long that would be a nice piece of reporting. I won’t hold my breath though.

4. Fed Up   December 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

True, but under those conditions, I’d say the drivers ought to drive to suit the road conditions…after living in Fallbrook for over 30 years, I’ve driven 76 one heck of a lot and never had an accident. Not all roads are ‘safe’…not all roads can be made ‘safe’. People do need to be somewhat accountable for their own safety. I would want to know how fast the vehicles were going and if one was trying to pass…..

5. Old timer   December 8, 2014 at 2:18 pm

its not done because of all of the NIMBY’s who have done verything possible to try and stop the inevitable

6. doesn't seem   December 8, 2014 at 3:12 pm

as deadly as the 74. More stories on the Ortega Hwy than the 76.

7. @Accountability   December 8, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Yup! The first 20 years came and went and they only managed to take 76 from I-5 to Melrose. They did get the Sprinter up (good job) but they came back after the promise was only half kept and got us to extend the tax so "for sure" it got finished all the way to I-15. It’s been what, a couple years now that it finally made it to Mission Rd. but it looks like they are serious about finishing it this time. It will be at least 30 years from the initial promise and yet now, traffic from Riverside Co. using the 76 has exploded and I fear the limited design of keeping the road on the North side of the river just adds to the crush of cars rolling through there daily. Had they taken a route south of the river, it would have called for extra bridging, but the current road bed and intersecting roads from Sweetgrass Ln. to Sage Rd, (maybe even old 395) would be serviced with the new frontage road. It would have allowed for some growth on the south side of the river (Vessels Ranch eastward) while keeping the current northerly intersecting properties intact and off the new parkway extension. I think the NIMBYs were short sighted with the current plan. I’ve watched this from my nearly 60 years of living in the area, but hey, at least something is happening.

8. Preston   December 9, 2014 at 8:23 am

Robert, In all the time I have traveled on the 76 I can not find any fault with the road and my guess is that almost every accident was caused by distracted driving.
    We will never be able to straighten and widen every road so I recommend we find a way to disable non hands free cell phones and crack down on the really dangerous activities like following to close. A road is only as safe as those traveling on it.

9. Preston   December 9, 2014 at 8:27 am

Case in point:
    I see many stories about crashes on the 15 and yet it is wide and straight.

10. JD   December 9, 2014 at 9:16 am

Preston,
    Maybe you are the one on the phone, not paying attention. There are several spots on this road, very unsafe and poorly designed, leading to accidents on the 76 east of Mission.

Accountability,
    The southern solution was way more costly, with little added benefit. The Northern choice is not limiting. It will be as safe as the other choice. And the Southern vs Northern does not affect traffic levels. Both are four lane designs. That was NEVER a point of discussion, except by the locals who want to keep a tiny road for themselves. You are likely just mad still, because you don’t want to make U-turns to get to your house. The "Not in my back yard" mentality is what stalled this improvement in the first place. Get over it.

11. Preston   December 9, 2014 at 10:51 am

JD, you are incorrect. I do not have a problem with road improvements however I do object to those finding fault with the road when the problem driver error. Learn to drive properly, stay off the cell phone, don’t follow to close or drive faster than conditions permit and there will be far fewer accidents; on any road.
    I am all for the improvements on the 76 as I believe it will bring added value to the area. In the meantime lets be honest and not blame the road instead of those responsible for the accidents.

12. Paul   December 9, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Blaming the road for accidents is like blaming a glass of bourbon when someone drives drunk.

13. FED UP   December 9, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I certainly have to agree with Preston. Safe, smart drivers can well handle ‘unsafe’ roads….I don’t know that we can afford to straighten out every road in the county / state / country to protect drivers from themselves. I’m sure that there are differing statistics on which are the "most dangerous roads", but the quick check I did showed I-5, I-10 and I-15 to be the most dangerous…those interstates are pretty straight and yet idiots have wrecks on them daily…duh…do you think it could be their driving?

14. Luck   December 10, 2014 at 1:50 am

For all those that want to assign fault to individuals for these accidents just be thankful that you have not been unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. When someone crosses the center line into oncoming traffic you have little or no chance of avoiding a collision. The fact that you have driven the road without an accident just makes you more lucky than the road safe. The road needs to have a center divider in order to save and protect lives, period.

15. Paul   December 10, 2014 at 9:53 am

Well obviously the person who is hit by an inattentive driver is not at fault, but people who drive too fast for conditions or use their cell phones to talk or text are still at fault no matter what the condition of the roadway. While I agree that the 76 is a mess and an accident waiting to happen, so is the 78 which is straight and has a center divider, check out the number of accidents on that one. Unfortunately no one is safe from idiot drivers. I pray always.

16. FED UP   December 10, 2014 at 10:53 am

We have to be a lot more vigilant now about cars coming at us from the rear and the front likely to slam into you while their drivers are busy yakking or texting, but straightening the road will not give you more protection. Getting them off the road by confiscating their vehicles will help. Do that once or twice and I don’t think they will be as likely to use their gadgets while driving….
    Speak out and use your voice to effect change….

17. Who knows   December 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Ever think that maybe the person has a medical condition? O

18. grunt   December 10, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Wow – "divide the road! make it 180 degrees straight! widen it!" It is the drivers, any of you driven in the southern US??? Plenty of twisting and windy roads, poorly maintained, but those southern folks know how to adjust their driving. I dare say the same is trough for rural NE US, and other places.

19. Brooktown   December 10, 2014 at 10:59 pm

The problem, might be, the edge of the highway being to high. If you veer slightly to the right, the "lip" on the highway, may be just high enough to cause your car to lurch straight across the other way, yes, head on, into a unsuspecting driver. If you drive that road, until it gets corrected, you better keep your wits around you, not to mention your lightning reflexes, and hope that is enough to save you and your families life.

20. Fed Up   December 11, 2014 at 9:49 am

Driving it for 30 years, still alive….don’t carry a cell phone, but I apparently do have my wits…..

21. Preston   December 12, 2014 at 2:18 pm

@Luck,
    A Center Divider is not going to help you when a texter slams into the back of you when you are at a light and he is going 50 mph. I witnessed an accident like that. Cracking down of distracted driving will save more lives than anything else. The reason municipalities don’t go after texters is because it is easier to catch speeders and they are more concerned about the bottom line.