AGUANGA: Home destroyed in early-morning blaze

A double-wide mobile-home was destroyed in an early-morning blaze Monday, Dec. 12. The fire happened in the 40000 block of Reed Valley Road near Centennial Street in the unincorporated community of Aguanga.  

Cal Fire/Riverside County firefighters, Riverside County Sheriff’s deputies and other emergency first responders were dispatched to the residential blaze after several neighbors called 911 to report the fire about 12:54 a.m.

Callers told Riverside County emergency dispatchers that there were possibly family members trapped inside the burning residence.

Twenty-three firefighters from six engine companies responded to the fire, according to Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Public Information Officer April Newman. They were assisted by a paramedic squad and two water tenders.

When firefighters arrived at the scene of the blaze, they reported finding the home 75 percent involved. Officials at the scene reported finding no available water sources and immediately requested water tenders to the location.

Within minutes of their arrival, a fire official advised emergency dispatchers that firefighters were in rescue mode and that the residents were being evacuated from the home.

Officials requested ground ambulances to the location and requested an air ambulance to be placed on standby. The air ambulance was later canceled after the residents were safely evacuated from the home.

Shortly before 2 a.m., Newman updated that “the structure is a complete loss.” Firefighters had switched from attempting to knock down the blaze and were “in defensive mode,” Newman reported.

Firefighters reportedly had the blaze under control shortly after 2 a.m.

Fire resources remained at the scene of the blaze for about two hours working on hot spots to ensure against accidental flare-ups and to conduct extensive overhaul.

Fire officials estimated the loss of the residence at about $60,000; however, they saved about $30,000 on the property, according to Newman.

There were no reported injuries and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

Leave a Reply