ANZA – A man who walked himself to Anza Fire Station 29 after suffering severe burns to his upper body was airlifted to a trauma and burn center Wednesday, Sept. 28. The fire station is in the 56000 block of Highway 371. It was not immediately known how far the man had walked to get to the fire station or where the reported explosion occurred.
The adult male, who has not been identified, walked in to the fire station at 6:31 p.m. suffering “second and third degree burns to his upper extremities reported to be caused by a butane heater that exploded,” according to Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Public Information Officer April Newman
Five firefighters from one engine company and a medic squad provided first aid to the victim and requested assistance from an air ambulance to transport the man to a trauma/burn center.
The victim was transported by an American Medical Response ground ambulance to a suitable landing zone, where a REACH Air Ambulance picked him up and transported him to an area hospital at 7:25 p.m.
The victim’s current condition had not been updated and was not known; however, he was expected to survive his injuries.