A man was displaced from his Pine Cove home on Saturday, Nov. 11, after misplaced fireplace ashes sparked a blaze that consumed the home and some surrounding brush, fire officials said.
The fire was reported shortly before 12:50 p.m. in the 52900 block of Fern Land Drive, according to a Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department news release.
The department was being aided by U.S. Forest Service and Idyllwild Fire Department firefighters.
In an update at 2 p.m., the fire was said to have consumed the 2 1/2 story home as well as a half acre of brush around it, according to the release.
The fire was out by about 2:15 p.m., fire officials said.
Anza Valley Outlook writer Diane Sieker contributed to this report.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated as new information becomes available.