Huell Howser of ”California’s Gold” dies in Palm Springs at 67

PALM SPRINGS – Longtime Southern California television host and Palm Springs resident Huell Howser, who used his folksy interviewing style to introduce viewers to little-known Golden State locales and the state’s unique residents, died today at age 67.

Howser, a native Tennessean with twang to match, died in Palm Springs at 2:35 a.m. of natural causes, according to the Riverside County Coroner’s Office. Howser’s spokesman Ryan Morris told City News Service that Howser died at his home following a long illness.

Morris, who declined to give details on Howser’s illness, said there would be no public or private services.

”He was very against any sort of tribute or funeral,” Morris said, adding that Howser would joke, ”We all have to die.”

He declined to list survivors, saying Howser’s family requested privacy.

Howser, who retired in November, was best known for hosting the series ”California’s Gold,” which ran for 19 years on PBS stations, including KCET in Southern California.

”We are deeply saddened by the news of Huell’s passing,” according to a statement by KCET President/CEO Al Jerome. ”This is a tremendous personal and professional loss to his friends and colleagues, as well as his legions of fans. Huell elevated the simple joys and undiscovered nuggets of living in our great state … Huell was able to brilliantly capture the wonder in obscurity. From pastrami sandwiches and artwork woven from lint to the exoticism of cactus gardens and the splendor of Yosemite — he brought us the magic, the humor and poignancy of our region. We will miss him very much.”

Howser attended many events in the Coachella Valley, according to The Desert Sun, and his website listed 34 shows filmed in the Palm Springs area.

Palm Springs Mayor Steve Pougnet said the city was ”incredibly saddened” by Howser’s death, calling him a ”tremendous journalist and one of our city’s No. 1 cheerleaders.”

”On behalf of our citizens, I want to thank him for all he did to support the spectacular Palm Springs destination through his in-depth and colorful reports,” Pougnet said. ”We will miss him terribly.”

Howser, often lampooned for his accent and wide-eyed wonder at roadside attractions, became so well known while hosting ”California’s Gold” that his character was incorporated into two episodes of ”The Simpsons.”

Howser started his television career at WSM in Nashville after working for U.S. Sen. Howard Baker and serving in the U.S. Marine Corps. The University of Tennessee graduate whose unusual first name is a combination of his parents’ — Harold and Jewell — became a well-known television personality in Nashville for his human interest stories.

He later hosted a magazine-style series at WCBS in New York City before moving to Los Angeles in 1981 to work for KCBS-TV. He later served a stint as a weekend ”Entertainment Tonight” host (1982-83) and eventually joined KCET in 1985.

At KCET, he started ”Videolog,” short programs featuring people’s unique stories. The series later became ”California’s Gold.”

Howser quietly retired from ”California’s Gold” late last year, amid rumors about his failing health. Morris told the Los Angeles Times in November that Howser was retiring from filming new shows, saying he ”is just trying to get away from television and enjoy some free time.”

Morris told City News Service that Howser donated his work to Chapman University in Orange. He donated episodes of ”California’s Gold” and all his other public television shows to Chapman in 2011 so they can be digitized, put on the Internet and ”made available free to a worldwide online audience,” according to Chapman’s website.

Howser, who had lived in the El Royale Apartments in Los Angeles, also once owned an unusual Newberry Springs home known as ”The Volcano House.”

The KCET show ”SoCal Connected” plans to air special segment on Howser at 5:30 p.m. tonight, then again at 10 p.m.

96 Responses to "Huell Howser of ”California’s Gold” dies in Palm Springs at 67"

1. Donnie Iverson   January 7, 2013 at 7:05 pm

R.I.P Huell you will be missed deeply by all. I loved your show and will always enjoy watching reruns. You brought Calif into are houses every night. Thank you Huell

2. Bvalencia   January 7, 2013 at 7:16 pm

HE WAS SO COOL! WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN ALL THE BEAUTY OF CALIFORNIA IF IT WASN’T FOR "THE HUELL HOWSER SHOW" HE IS AND WAS TRULY CALIFORNIA’S GOLD!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

3. Fallbrook Fan   January 7, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Always enjoyed his show. He was definitely "California’s Gold". He will be missed.

4. Fogel   January 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm

There needs to be more people like Huell. He was always upbeat.

5. Rhonda   January 7, 2013 at 7:29 pm

My husband and I have enjoyed Huel’s T.V. shows for years and we will miss his friendly and enthusiastic personality, May God Bless you Huel.

6. George A.   January 7, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Huell I’ll always remember you. Good luck on your New Show Heavens Gold.

7. Raj Athwal   January 7, 2013 at 7:35 pm

We will miss you Huell as a great soul of our golden state

8. Judy   January 7, 2013 at 7:44 pm

This is very sad news. I learned so much about Calif. through him. So many places to visit because if him. I will miss him.

9. Cranky   January 7, 2013 at 7:52 pm

That is the worst news I’ve read in the Village News all week. "That’s Amazing!"

10. Janet   January 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm

My family and I will surely miss Mr. Huell Howser. His shows on the forgotten secrets and wonderful attractions of California always were charming and educational. We have all enjoyed his travels, and for years we’ve been amused by his southern drawl broadcasts. May he rest in peace with the knowledge that he made a difference and enriched many of our lives. And our most sincere condolences to his family and loved ones. God bless you, Huell Howser!

11. Grateful PBS Viewer   January 7, 2013 at 8:12 pm

California has lost a great promoter and proud resident with the passing of Mr. Howser. He embraced California with wonder and ceaselessly promoted it’s treasures, great and small. May he rest in peace in the California sunshine he so loved.

12. ron watson   January 7, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I’m at a loss for words to express the sorrow we feel that huell has died.he meant so much to all our family god bless you we were blessed to know you

13. Dr. M. Wallace   January 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

He was a master at teaching us how to appreciate the small attractions of California. It was a pleasure to watch him enjoy our hidden treasures.

14. mary sullivan   January 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

My husband Jack and I so much enjoyed Huell’s stories
    of obscure litle places in Cakifornia, Although natives of
    this great State, there was just too much to know!! His
    stories of the State are wonderful for children to learn more than what is in our history books, Huell was a teacher, and dearly loved!! I live in Palm Springs, and like him, proud of our city, and our State!! He wa
    s much to young to leave this place!! Rest in Peace Huell!!!

15. Pamela & Joe   January 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm

We have been together for almost 30 years and Huell Howser has been a part of our lives throughout this time. We watched original shows, repeats and updates and enjoyed each one as if we were seeing it for the first time. We have raised five children throughout this time who have grown to also know and love Huell as much as my husband and myself. Huell Howser will be missed in The Alvarado Household and we would love to thank him for being himself and for all the wonderful times we’ve shared with him though his programs. Rest in peace and love, you are leaving a wonderful legacy, Huell…

16. MARIA PENA   January 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I WILL MISS WATCHING MR.HOWSER’S PROGRAM "CALIFORNIA GOLD" I LEARNED SO MUCH FROM WATCHING HIS SHOW, I LEARNED OF PLACES IN CALIFORNIA THAT I DID’NT EXESTED , HE ALWAYS PUT SO MUCH CHARACTER , EMPHASIS AND CURIOSTY INTO THE STORY OR THE TOPIC, HE HAD A VERY SPECIAL WAY SPEAKING WITH PEOPLE AND GETTING DOWN INTO THE TOPIC OF THE STORY FOR HIS TELEVISION AUDIENCE, THE STORY I REMEMBER THE MOST IS OF THE "FOREVER BURNING LIGHT BULB IN THE LIVERMORE FIRESTATION THAT I BELIEVE IS NOW A MUSEUM, THANK YOU MR.HOWSER FOR ALL THE TEACHING AND THE WONDERFUL MEMORIES,YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED, MAY YOU REST IN PEACE WITH OUR CREATOR.

17. Marilyn Ravasdy   January 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Such a great article about a great man, there really aren’t enough words to describe the kindness and compassion Huell had. He made everyone feel important and made the most mundane stories heartfelt and exciting. We will forever miss him and am glad the libraries and now the internet will have his memories to share with future generations and maybe help someone else inspire others as he has done. I, also, remember a program he did called "The Park Bench". Thanks for your dedicated work and for donating all you have done to people who need to be inspired.

18. Joe   January 7, 2013 at 8:34 pm

RIP and Semper Fi old buddy

19. tony santos   January 7, 2013 at 8:34 pm

in today’s world, he died much too young-i loved his tv shows-i loved california and Mr. Howser added my love for my adopted state as it was his.

20. Mark   January 7, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Bummer

21. Mark   January 7, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Bummer

22. Mark   January 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Bummer

23. Sad in SoCal   January 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm

We will miss you Huell.

24. Gisela Butler   January 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Huell will be greatly missed. I always enjoyed his program.

25. Barbara Burr   January 7, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Huell was pure gold. My husband and I enjoyed his shows. We learned a great deal about our state from him and saw places we will never see. He leaves a void with his unique show. Another soul that is gone too soon.

26. Lillie   January 7, 2013 at 9:04 pm

We loved you Huel! Semper Fi

27. SALLY   January 7, 2013 at 9:05 pm

GOOD OLE HOWELL! WE WILL MISS HIM; HE WAS TOO YOUNG…REALLY..GOOD MAN!

28. Nomar   January 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I’ll see you in HEAVEN.

29. Nomar   January 7, 2013 at 9:12 pm

GOD BLESS.

30. Cindy   January 7, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I met Huell in Paradise CA during our annual Gold Nuggett Parade Event. Such a legend and great person full of enthusiam. Something we all can learn from and carry on. Me included. Will miss you! Rest in Peace in Heaven.

31. Gloria Rodriguez   January 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Iam so sad, when I heard that he may have died did not believe it. Have watche him for years and visisted spots that he showed on his show. Very handsome man and his humanity came through the television. My 87 year old father is saddened by this news as well. The article does a great job of giving huell’s life history. Iam so story for his family and friends. I know they loved him very much. My prayers are with them all. We’ve lost a very special human being but heaven has gained an angel.

32. linda   January 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm

he had a beauiful life travelling california GOD BLESS HIM

33. Amy Malina   January 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

My husband and I (and our kids) loved Huell Howser and will
    miss him and his show terribly. He was an American treasure; truly
    irreplaceable with the kindest, most gentle, fun-loving nature.
    A terrible loss for us all.

34. Debbie   January 7, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I will surely miss him. I always watch his California Gold. He was so relaxed and made learning about our state such a pleasure. I have visited places he talked about,which I probably never would have known about.He will be greatly missed by me.

35. Adriana de Iongh   January 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm

We always watched mr. Howser shows about Calif. We liked all the little things and restaurants that we never heard off. We where in schock when we heard that mr. Howser passed away and cried to. We really liked him a lot. Rest in peace mr. Howser and we always think about you and your travels.

36. Joyce Serrao-Kaggie   January 7, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Huell, all I can say it that you were a very interesting and a delightful person to watch on your California Gold show, you ALWAYS had my Husband and myself’s attention no matter what the show was about. We will miss you dearly and no one could or ever will be able to replace you "Mr California Gold Man". RIP

37. Barreras   January 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

We are huge fans of Huell Howser. He did a good job in broadcasting the jewels of California, the state that we love. We will miss his tremendous work. Our sympathy goes out to his family.

38. Ro Chelle   January 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Many tears of sadness in our family. Such a sad time in history. We love you, Huell, and always will.

39. Matt Moore   January 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm

What an inspiration to journalism and reporting! What an educator! We will all miss Huell Howser, but we are all better for having watched his episodes.

40. Lynnette Langseth   January 7, 2013 at 9:47 pm

The passing of Huell Houser has deeply saddened our family and friends. We have been watching many of his programs on television for such a long time. We are very thankful for such insight to our great State of California. He will be missed by many of his viewers. Prayers for him and his family and close friends!! Lynnette and Bryan Langseth

41. Patrick   January 7, 2013 at 9:47 pm

There are few men in todays society that cherished life and distributed his vigor for life in his so enjoyable and entertaining interviews. I met him once at a AAA function as he sponsored them, and he was larger than life and spoke with you as though he always knew you. He made an impression in this era, we will miss your spark!

42. The Deese Family   January 7, 2013 at 10:12 pm

My wife and I met Huell at the Hollywood Farmer’s Market about 8 years ago and asked for a picture with him to show our children. He granted us a personal greeting via video saying "hi" to each one of our children using their names! He was as important to our family learning about many different people and places in our beautiful state as Sesame Street. He was that powerful to our lifestyle and discovery of the "best of California".

Friend, Huell, you will not be missed in our hearts because you will always be there!

Thanks for sharing the "Gold" inside you with a humble little family in Compton, California

43. DeLois Caudle   January 7, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I am so very saddened that Huell Howser has passed away. His California Gold show has been my favorite show for many years. One could travel throughout California learning so many wonderful things that just are not in text books. He brought our history to life and had such wonderful enthusiasm. I’m sorry I never will be able to meet him in person. I just know he was an awesome man. He will be greatly missed.

44. George Navarro   January 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Huell, will be remembered for the great joy he brought to his fans.
    See you in heaven!

45. DIEGO   January 7, 2013 at 10:27 pm

WE GONNA MISS HUELL, I LOVE HIS TV SHOW ! CALIFORNIAS GOLD. RIP HUELL.

46. C Gribble   January 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Very sad day. He was truly amazing. His shows were absolutely marvelous, so respectful of others. He honored all of us with his sharing and celebration of other peoples’ stories.

My prayers to his family and close friends.

47. randy hilton   January 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm

i am so sad to hear of his passing. i loved his show and watched every time he was on. i am a native californian, he showed me places i never even heard of here in california. i was born up no., in fairfield,ca., moved to so cal when i was younger. i am so sad for the family, my condolances. he will be missed by me & all.

48. LOUIS BELISO, FREMONT, CA   January 7, 2013 at 10:37 pm

" I ALWAYS ENJOYED HIS PROGRAMS, CALIFORNIIA GOLD. I’VE LEARNED ALOT, HIS ENTHUSIASM , HIS VERY GENTLENESS AND MOST OF ALL HE ALWAYS MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I AM THERE, TOURING THOSE BEAUTIFUL PLACES MYSELF. I WILL MISS HIM VERY MUCH. GOODBYE MR. HOWSER AND GOD BE WITH YOU.
    LOUIS BELISO
    americannotaryservice.net
    FREMONT, CA

49. Bob and Georgia   January 7, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Huel was a fantastic person and we will miss him and his programs, we always looked forward to his adventures. I do hope PBS will continue to show his programs.
    God Bless.

50. Norm Hardy   January 7, 2013 at 10:44 pm

We are very saddened to her the news about Huell today. He sure knew how to bring his tv viewers on the journery to so many wonderful places that we never knew about and in such a manner to make it funny and enjoyable. We loved when Huell would call Louie and said "did you get that" while they were filming. We are members of the Manx dune buggy club and one of our favorite shows is when Huell was riding in the Red buggy with Bruce Meyers in Big Bear California laughing and worried that Bruce might hit something.
    We know he is on his own journey now and we will always remember such a fine man.
    GOD BE WITH YOU HUELL

51. mike g   January 7, 2013 at 11:30 pm

The One and Only,we’ll miss ya!

52. Ruby   January 8, 2013 at 12:04 am

Enjoyed his shows very much. He will be missed.

53. Jodi Thomas   January 8, 2013 at 12:21 am

He had the uncommon talent to translate common everyday things to the screen, showing us it

54. Mary....Apple Valley, Ca.   January 8, 2013 at 4:16 am

Huell was like Johnny Carson….only one of a kind. Thanks for the great stories..Rest in Peace…you deserve it!

55. Diane   January 8, 2013 at 7:08 am

Huell will be sorely missed. What a guy!

56. D and M Gee   January 8, 2013 at 7:30 am

My husband and I met Huell in 1996 at the KCET studios for a lunch hosted by a restaurant that served menudo. It was a wonderful day, one I will never forget. We have a photo of the three of us that is now more special than before. This is like losing an old friend that you didn’t see very often, but truly cared about.

Denise and Mark Gee
    San Clemente

57. Wilby   January 8, 2013 at 7:33 am

Huell Howser you will be missed. I never watched a California’s Gold episode without finding myself excited about a wall or where the exact middle of California is located. Huell brought back the simplicity and enjoyment of being alive and looking at a nugget of California that normally would be passed over. I for one will miss him in such a complicated world. Thank you Huell Howser for touching out lives.

58. Emergefit   January 8, 2013 at 8:30 am

Heavy influence on my life since I moved here in 1999. Very sad. http://contemplativefitness.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/californias-gold/

59. John and Paula   January 8, 2013 at 8:44 am

His shows were always positive …a rare thing today. In person he was the same. We will miss him so much.

60. Friend   January 8, 2013 at 9:06 am

Huell was a good friend of mine.

61. JAMES&DENISE   January 8, 2013 at 10:31 am

MR.HUELL HOWSER WITH THE SUN SHINING DOWN ON US THIS MORNING LETS ME KNOW YOU ARE IN HEAVEN.NOW GOD IS SMILING DOWN ON US BECAUSE HE HAS CALIFORNIAS GOLD IN HEAVEN.

62. Pink   January 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

We loved watching California Gold. Huell was like a family member. He will be sorely missed. Our condolences to his loved ones.

63. Inga   January 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

Will miss you greatly. You were the very best. Your programms California gold and all they others was the best of California and the way you presented them.
    Thank’s.

64. David   January 8, 2013 at 11:03 am

Even with all of California’s problems, Huell showed us how wonderful this state is for all of us. God Bless Huell.

65. David   January 8, 2013 at 12:59 pm

We came to California in the early 80’s and one of the shows that i remember watching with the whole family was Mr. Howser’s show. It was one of those rare times when the whole family would get together and talk about going to some of the places that Huell would visit. I have gone to some places that he visited and felt as if he was always with us showing us around. Now that i have kids of my own, we sit around watching old re-runs talking about how we would like to visit some of the places he highlight in his show……. I will truly miss him.

66. Diana   January 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

My daughter was afraid to tell me the news over the phone, that’s how much I loved Huell Howser. I will miss him very much. Thanks for everything Huell. You were great!

67. Dino Bronxguy   January 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

We loved your shows , especially from Joshua tree & still have it & many others saved on our DVR . RIP brother!!

68. Bob   January 8, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Every time I would pass the channel guide and see one of his shows, I almost always made sure I saw it. Even if it was one I’d seen before. Something indescribable about this big, burly sweet ol’ bear of a man made me share his love for this wonderful State. It seems as though I have lost a dear relative (whom I’ve never even met!) with his passing. The world is a little less special without this dear, special man in it. Huell, you were amazing! Your "Aw shucks" honesty was like tonic in a less-than-perfect real world. Sad just doesn’t seem to describe the loss I feel right now. Mr. Howser, you sir will be missed!

69. Cheryl   January 8, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I am so sad about your early departure from this world. Your presence brought me much joy. RIP Handsome Guy!

70. Emergefit   January 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm

In my life, few things have been able to pull me away from a workout without leaving me with heavy feelings of guilt for my absence in the gym. On many weekends though, during my 13 years living here in California, Huell Howser has pulled up one side of this state, and down the other

71. Barney   January 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Rest in Peace. Mr. Howser……"The Real California Gold." I was stunned to hear abouth Mr. Huell Howser’s death. He was indeed a very positive institution.

72. LB   January 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm

A class act. Gone too soon.

73. VHC   January 8, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Huell,you were and will forever be our Califorinia Gold.Rest in peace.

74. cambriawineman   January 9, 2013 at 12:24 am

After a hard day I would come home and turn on Huell,just hearing his voice would make the day better.He was so much a part of our family,my daughter who is now 21 years old grew up enjoying Huell.Rest in peace my friend,God bless you! Thank you for all the joy youbrought us.

75. nancy ohanlon   January 9, 2013 at 1:23 am

I was in ca and only got your channel i was a flight attandant. I learned so much ,,u will be miss ,,ur were so smart and kind.thank you ,,

76. suzann   January 9, 2013 at 9:40 am

Ive learned so much from Huell. What a fun fun guy.

77. Sunshine   January 9, 2013 at 9:51 am

He certainly was able to expose the beauty of California.

78. Donna   January 9, 2013 at 9:55 am

So sad to hear this. Loved his show. One of my favorites. He will be missed. Great guy.

79. Diane   January 9, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Huell if you had a long illiness I am happy your in heaven now. I know your happy and in no pain. God Bless You.

80. samuel maxwell   January 9, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I’ve read all #79 comments and they are saying the things I would like to say here ,not to be repetitive but HUELL open up my eyes to the beauty of CALIFORNIA.Me and my family enjoyed his show over the twenty odd years we’ve been here.We loved his attitude when seen new places and new things he took great pleasure in each and every one of them.SO DID WE.HUELL we miss you already .GOD BLESS YOU ..MAY YOU REST IN PEACE.. FRESNO,CA.93727

81. JBlack   January 9, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I will miss watching his show R.I.P. Huell

82. Bill & April porterville ca   January 10, 2013 at 7:11 am

what a sad blow to California and the Howser family and his fans. sorry about your loss it is our loss too. as a t.v. viewer we watched many of huell’s shows and we learned alot and laughed alot. as he had his own personality. It was terriable news :( to find out we lost a great person who proved his love for life many times over. hopefully we will see some reruns on t.v.

You will be mised.

Huell, rest in peace in the name of Jesus Christ.
    Amen.

83. Corina   January 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I met Huell when he came to Lodi to visit our great vineyards!
    He was a true gentleman! Admired his great knowledge of our remarkable state.
    May you rest in peace.

84. Joe & Marti Martin   January 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm

What a shock, we did not know that Huell was ill. They threw away the mold after creating Huell Howser. What a guy. He brought joy & laughter to our home, he was loved by us as well as our children. His sincere joy of life and his appreciation of the simpest things in life are an inspiration to us all. Huell will be sadly missed in our lives. If Huell were the president of the USA, only peace would reside. Our thoughts are with his family.

85. Murray phipps   January 11, 2013 at 2:09 am

This is one of those deaths that I just can’t let go, it really saddens me.

86. Murray   January 11, 2013 at 2:16 am

This is one of those deaths that I just can’t let go, it really saddens me.

87. so cal dave   January 11, 2013 at 7:19 pm

"you mean to tell me" that our dear friend is gone.you will be missed Huell. and all of us left behind will have to go out and find our own cali gold in memory of you.thank you for your wonderful show and for just being califorina’s gold.

88. Jackie. Wrightwood,ca   January 11, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I will miss his spectacular!!!! stories on his journey in calif. I always learned something new about calif,RIP, huellhouser.

89. jerry   January 13, 2013 at 10:56 pm

That’s Amazing! one his favorite words. He was amazing! R.I.P.

90. jerry   January 13, 2013 at 11:01 pm

That’s Amazing! One of many Huell Howser favorite words. He was Amazing! R.I.P.

91. Lisa   January 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm

RIP Huell. I’m so glad I had the opportunity to meet you a few years ago in Hanford, CA. You were as gracious in person as you were on TV. You were certainly a state treasure. I hope someday you’ll be remembered by all Californians in a manner befitting your love for our state. You reminded those of us who watched you over the years that CA can truly be the "golden gate" of states. God Bless You and your family.

92. Zoila   January 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I,m so sad about his death. He lived life in a way that we all enjoy knowing about So. Cal, so enthusiastic about meeting people and praising at everyone he metd. God bless

93. Red Lane   February 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm

We’ll remember you, Huell, every time we drive by one of your favorite places. God bless
    you for all the joy you brought into our lives.

94. eric leon   May 12, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Rest in peace Howell u had a great and beutyfull program and so educative I wil go to some if those places that I saw in ur programs

95. Carol Williams   May 17, 2013 at 8:57 am

Rest in peace Huell..My Dad loved you and I bought all of your CA Gold and others for him and he would watch them over and over. He had quite a collecton
    and I guess you and him are discussing right now in Heaven.

96. SHIRLEY SHANNON   August 14, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I don’t know where I have been, but I just heard that we lost the most precious of California’s Gold….Mr. Huell Howser. I just loved his series on the Missions and all of his shows were educational and uplifting and inspired in each of us a desire to visit those places in person. May God bless him and all those he leaves behind.